For the most part, in the last week a lot of things have come together. I have made good progress on the packing of the car. I continue to purge more things and I think it is working out. I still have a huge list of things to get done in the next day and everything takes me 3x longer to do than I expect. I so wish my brother were still here to help. I think he would have enjoyed helping with the projects I've been working on and he would have been a HUGE help in getting things organized and set up - especially all my new tech stuff. I am now the proud owner of a new smart phone (which I'm still trying to finish setting up) and mobile hotspot -Verizon Jetpack (which I haven't even gotten out of it's box yet!).
Oh, the car. I'm sad to say that Tawanda will NOT be joining me on the road. She suffered from transmission issues and I knew she just couldn't make the journey with me. She did her darnedest to hang in there but I had to let her go - for her sake. She is and always will be missed - she was an awesome car! I now have a much more fitting vehicle for my adventures. Meet Grania. She and Zelda and I are gonna have a great time!
|Meet Grania - A 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan|
I wanted a minivan for 2 reasons. 1) They have a greater tow capacity than most mid-size SUV's and 2) I needed some more indoor space to work. With the middle seats stowed and the addition of a small table, I now have a very comfortable indoor work space if the outside weather isn't cooperating. An SUV doesn't give me that. I just have to figure out how to pack her! I know I am still taking too much, but I just don't know what I will and won't need out there so I'm taking some extras just in case. I will be like the early pioneers heading west on the wagon trains, leaving a trail of belongings behind me that are extraneous - only I will donate mine and not leave them on the side of the road or in someone's front yard.
Well, I found out this past Wednesday that Zelda is dyslexic. Turns out the wiring on the car and the wiring on the trailer for the brake lights and turn signals don't match up. So I am doing some rewiring to make them work. So far I have the turn signals working. Those were easy. I still can't get the brake lights to work on their own without the car's headlights on. Hmmm, perplexing. . . but I'm not giving up. Gonna try again tomorrow when I have daylight. If I can't figure it out, at least Zelda is towable now as long as I keep my headlights on. When I stop to see Egon hopefully we can figure things out if I haven't by then.
I want to get this update posted so you know that I am on my way finally! I have a lot more projects and happenings to share with everyone, but I have to get some sleep tonight so I can complete my "to-do" list tomorrow. Once I get on the road I'll have more time to post updates. If you live where it is already cold and possibly snowy, I would be most appreciative if you would keep it to yourself until I get well south of you. Thank You!