Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2015

The Plastic Platinum Panacea

I am getting ready to FINALLY head out for my life on the road - neither rain nor sleet nor flying monkeys will stop me this time - I am GOING!  Don't get me wrong, minus the challenges thrown at me the past year and a half, I have enjoyed the time I've gotten to spend with my family and friends here in Ohio, but it's not where I belong.  I plan to leave Ohio towards the end of September to visit some friends and family, none of which are in the southwesterly direction I plan to head of course (some are actually north or east).  After saying good-bye to everyone till next spring I'll finally be heading west to visit Egon, the designer and builder of my tearbaby, and his wife before turning southward to winter in warm, sunny Arizona.  After the past 2 abominable winters in northern Ohio I can't wait!

In the meantime, I am working on resolving some basic living issues.  One of which is my cold food storage.  I ended up getting the 52 Qt. Coleman Extreme cooler - I have a feeling I should have gone with something smaller.  Either way, this will be a big learning curve for me.  I haven't really used a cooler often.  Those few times I was only gone a couple of days and had use of a freezer beforehand and all the accouterments for food packing.  I thought I'd see if I could find any tips on how to pack a cooler for extended trips on the internet - didn't find much useful information that I didn't already know except . . . there seems to be a big debate on whether to drain or not to drain the water out of a cooler.  It was quite interesting.  Views on the subject ranged from 'that's how I've always done it' to "scientific proof" explanations for both sides of the debate.  I guess I'll just have to test the water for myself (pun intended).

I've also discovered something about myself.  (Well, actually I've known it for a while, but shh, don't tell anyone!).  I have a serious problem - I'm addicted to plastic food storage containers.  I can't NOT save them nor can I seem let myself get rid of them.  I have no sentimental attachment to them.  I am simply a food storage container hoarder!  It's truly pathetic.



This is my collection (many of the containers are stacked inside each other - there are probably at least 65 in this picture).  Pretty impressive I know!  Unfortunately I don't have room to keep them all.  I feel a purging coming on - Oh my giddy aunt; give me strength!  

"Hi, my name is Jordan and I am a plastic food container hoarder."  

Anyone know of a 12-step program out there for me? (I've already completed step 1!)

I'm still working on my composting toilet design.  I think I've decided what I want but still have a few more details to flush out to make it work (yes, I did go there).  There are some great composting toilets on the market that are well designed and work great for a mobile lifestyle, but for me personally, they pretty much have 2 flaws: 1) most of them are way too high for me to use comfortably, and 2) I just can't afford or justify spending upwards of $1000 for a toilet.  Even if I had that kind of money, I'm still not sure if I could justify it - at least not with my current car/trailer set-up.  That's just me.  I don't have any problem with anyone choosing to get one.  I say go for it!  Some are really awesome - if they didn't have the 2 personal "flaws" I'd get one.  I also understand that these come from small businesses and without a large pool of customers their costs are much higher to make a profit.  As a soon to be small business myself, I admire them and the products they are putting out.  I really wish I could afford to support them.  Maybe someday (if they would design a toilet for shorties!).

I still have a lot to do before I go.  I have to make a decision on my internet set-up, and if I should get a signal booster or internet antenna or both.  I have to figure out how best to set up my online business. (Even after a lot of research, I feel like I have a long way to go to get my head around all the tech gear and language I need to understand to earn a living on the road).  I still have too much stuff, so more purging is in order - Ouch!  My car needs a check-up and serviced for traveling, but I'm not sure how much that will cost or if I can afford to have everything done right now.  Brakes, brakes would be good!  My list seems to get longer instead of shorter as I think of more things I need to do or get; so I am prioritizing what is necessary now and what can wait till later so I can spread out the expenses.

If only plastic food storage containers sold for the same price as platinum I'd be all set.


3 comments:

  1. Just to let you know Jordan, I to am a storage container hoarder! so your not alone! who knows when you'll need them, I do give food away, like when I have a picnic, so I do use some for that, but I have them in the basement, in the spare bedrooms, anywhere theres space to store them! Richard get on me alot about them so I find myself hiding them so he doesn't know quite how many I have! I am excited for your adventure! keep us posted!! Praying for you to find away for you to complete your list! and if you need to add to your storage container addiction! I can hook you up!! lol Love,Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK Carolyn, I think I have to concede the title to you! Though i had even more containers at my house in Chattanooga, I never went so far as to HIDE them from anyone! That cracks me up! I promise i won't tell Richard. I did drive Steve crazy with all the ones i had though, but i ALWAYS had the perfect solution to many challenges thanks to my collection! Thanks for the offer of hooking me up with more but it's not nice to tempt an addict! You might find a surprise on your porch some morning ;)

      Delete
    2. Sure no problem, I'll hidem!! lol I don't think I hide them very well, from time to time, he'll find some stashed in a closet!! or in a cupboard and start complaing about them!! lol I don't care, I just can't throw them away! his mom had the same addiction!! lol

      Delete