Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Unexpected Things I've Learned this Summer

Glacier Peak and Mount David (to the left) at the beginning of the summer.

This summer has been quite memorable.  I have learned a lot about things I never considered to learn about.  I thought as an end to my summer adventure, I'd share a few of these "learning experiences".

  • Having stood outside from 3:00 a.m. till 8:30 a.m. for almost a week straight, I discovered that it is actually coldest about an hour after sunrise.  You'd think it would start to warm up once the sun came up but it doesn't.  Of course I had to find out if this were actually true and not just me being a wuss.  I looked it up and turns out it's true!  Well, barring any other weather fronts or happenings.

  • People define "camping" in very different ways.  Some bring their entire household - INCLUDING the kitchen sink - setting up entire "rooms" in their campsite.  While others bring a tent and a meal that has to be cooked but no pot or stove to cook with.  (Yes, I actually cooked the guys dinner for him).  

  • I found that I like to keep a few spiders in the restrooms.  They help keep out the Riffraff insects.

  • Unfortunately I found out that you can kill your brand new, very expensive, Lifeline battery in just a couple of months using only about 3 - 5 amp hours a day and recharging once a week (or so I thought I was).  I have re-branded my battery "Flatline".

  • Some men would choose to risk flipping over their very expensive pick-up truck backing up their boat trailer than to listen to someone else / a woman? give them suggestions on how to do it easier.  I had a guy who came to fish for the first 4-5 days of Sockeye season and every morning he put his truck up on the hillside, but on the 4th day I swore he was going to flip his truck over when he ran it up about 6 feet onto the hillside!  His back tire was at least 2 1/2 feet off the ground.  He wouldn't listen to me on how to line it up before backing.  I just shook my head and prayed we wouldn't need the emergency crew out there again.

  • Feeding bats is great fun!  Stand out in a fairly open area where bats are flying around, turn on your flashlight and point it up and out from you a little bit.  The insects will be attracted to the light and the bats will swoop in and feed.  They will come really close to you too.  VERY FUN!

  • In general, most men say they aren't cat people.  I have discovered why - the secret they've been trying to hide for generations.  Men are actually descended from cats.  I know this because cats like to pee just outside the litterbox and in the corners, and so do men & little boys.  I have proof, pretty much every day cleaning the restrooms.  Yep, secrets out guys.  Sorry.  (In all fairness, I know sometimes it could have been women who like to hover and little girls who are afraid they will fall into the toilet if they sit back all the way - but mostly it was the guys).

  • Do NOT wear a headlamp when cleaning vault toilets at night.  Just trust me on this one.

Glacier Peak and Mount David just a few days ago.
Quite a dramatic difference!

Well, I am officially done with my job as of this past Wednesday.  Thursday I did my normal first day off routine - showered (so desperately needed, I was 4 days overripe!), laundry, grocery shopping and other errands including 2 new tires for Grania - now she has 4 new "shoes".  I think she is happy.  Now if only I could afford some new shoes for myself!  Friday I cleaned out Zelda and Grania and got all but a few last minute things packed up and ready to go.  I decided to stay an extra day to do some exploring of the area that I never got to do all summer.  So that's what I just finished doing today.  I am SO glad I chose to do this - don't ever let something you really want to do pass you by.  I had a great day hiking and exploring and watching the salmon heading to their seedy motels - and even watched them getting it on too!  ;0)  (Pictures and videos will be posted soon).  I will pull out tomorrow and start my journey to the ocean - just like a young salmon.  What adventures await me there?  Can't wait to find out.  



4 comments:

  1. Ok, now i HAVE to know why you shouldn't wear the headlamp while cleaning the toilets in the dark. Did yours fall off? Or touch something that had come out of someone else's body beforehand?? If so, EEWWW!!!

    I really love your thought - never put off what you really want to do.I'm so glad you took that time for yourself to just enjoy the area, knowing that the future time ahead of you is just for you.

    And oh, my, god. Say it sister! (About people bringing everything.) I see this gigantic RVs come into the campground - you know, the 45 footers, sometimes towing a trailer full of their toys or a boat or even hey, a boat and a car (seriously, not kidding), (or was it a trailer pulling a boat pulling a car?! I forget.) and I think to myself - how scary is that - the person driving it doesn't need a CDL license but yet, they are literally driving something like a bus. Scary as crap!

    The guy who brought the meal that didn't have a pan - was it one of those MRE meals? I've heard that they can actually be pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHY shouldn't you wear a headlamp while cleaning vault toilets? Because you see EVERYTHING very clearly! Yes, you kind of see in under normal light conditions, but with a bright LED light shining dead center down there, well, that's even too much for me to want to see!

      The guy that had me cook his meal for him, he just wasn't prepared to camp. Not sure what he was planning. It was just an instant Ramen type meal. He ended up not staying overnight.

      Yeah, it is scary what all people drive around. I had a CDL for a job I did - and it was a "small" truck. I was always terrified driving that, I can't imagine driving some of the RV's out there let alone adding a trailer almost the same size to it. I have enough trouble driving Grania and Zelda together!

      Delete
  2. What a fun summer you had. I enjoy reading all about it. Be happy you are not in Chattanooga. It was 96 again today. Fall where are you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was back in Ohio and Pennsylvania for the fall visiting, taking care of routine doctor appointments, house / kitty sitting, and perfecting my role as the Couch-Surfing Bag Lady! I had hoped to get down to TN for a visit, but my time ran over and the weather didn't cooperate. Hope to get there for a visit in the spring.

      Delete